10.25.2012

Recipe: Vegan Pizza!

How can you be Vegan and eat pizza? It has cheese and meat? Not in my recipe! We eat this pizza more often then I'd like to admit here on the blog! ;) It's so yummy and I really wanted to share it with you!

RECIPE VeganPizza1
We prefer loading our pizza up with mushrooms, black olives, vegan pepperoni and green bell peppers!

Needless to say you can choose whatever you want for your toppings! I do have the original longer version of this pizza recipe HERE. Over time we have changed the recipe to what works best for us! The main change that makes this pizza way easier to fix is buying a store bought pizza crust. We only buy "healthier" crusts that have very little oil and fat. Below is a photo of the ingredients that we use. I did forget to include garlic in the photo...

RECIPE VeganPizza2

The first thing you are going to have to do is start making your tomato (pizza) sauce. I suppose you could cheat and buy store bought, but homemade tastes better and is healthier for you.

Ingredients for the tomato sauce:
1 pound heirloom tomatoes
Sea salt
6 to 8 garlic cloves
Fresh herbs, such as basil, chives, oregano or sage

Making the tomato sauce: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Quarter the heirloom tomatoes and place faceup on a roasting pan. Sprinkle with sea salt. Add the whole cloves of garlic and roast for 30 minutes or until lightly caramelized. When they are finished scrape the roasted tomatoes and garlic into a bowl and pulse with an immersion blender. (We use a food processor.) Chop some of your favorite herbs and stir-in sauce. We always used our jars of herbs.

Roasted Tomatoes
RECIPE VeganPizza3
Tomatoes and Garlic in the food processor, add herbs also.
Now make the sauce!
RECIPE VeganPizza4
Let's not forget my favorite part, the cashew sauce that replaces cheese on the pizza!

Herbed Cashew "Cheese" Sauce:
1 cup organic oil free cashews
1/2 lemon juiced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon fresh basil or your favorite herb
1/4 cup water

Making the cashew "cheese": Put all "cheese" ingredients into a food processor and puree, adding water slowly, until it reaches a thick, cream-cheese-like consistency.

RECIPE VeganPizza5
Don't forget to chop up your veggies!!!
Now it's time to assemble your pizza!

Cashew Cheese sauce
RECIPE VeganPizza6

Time to put the sauce on your crust
RECIPE VeganPizza7

Add all your toppings RECIPE VeganPizza8

Get caught eating toppings....
RECIPE VeganPizza9

Bake accorindly to your pizza crust directions. Usually 10 minutes.
RECIPE VeganPizza10
We cut ours into 4 slices!

RECIPE VeganPizza11
ENJOY! :)
See, pizza can be meat & cheese free! YAY!

13 comments:

  1. Yum! We make vegan pizza like once a week at my house! It's so easy (we cheat and use pre-made pizza sauce!)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should try cheating also. LOL It would save us time.

      Delete
  2. I am definitely saving this recipe - looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! My favorite thing is the cheese/cashew sauce!

      Delete
  3. yum yum yum!

    <3 Melissa
    wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum this looks delicious, pizzas are one of my favourite things to make from scratch, and so healthy (when they're not loaded with dairy cheese, yuck). I love to make my own dough and put spinach in it too.
    I'm so curious about cashew cheese, because I can't have nuts i've never tried it. Does it taste cheesey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I crave the cashew sauce. We are actually going to making a "cheese" dip and chips this week. That will make the blog in the next few weeks also. :)

      Delete
  5. That cashew sauce sounds really interesting! Would love to try this sometime :)
    I haven't tried the tofurky peperoni before either, my husband will be so happy to get those!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the tofurky stuff is ALL good! Everything we have tried so far at least. :) The cashew sauce is really good!!!!!!

      Delete

HELLO! :) Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do reply to comments through email, so make sure you are not a no reply blogger so that I can indeed email you a response back. :) Not sure what a no reply blogger is? Read about it HERE.