2.27.2013

Recipe: Chocolate Banana Pancakes & Scrambled Tofu

Pancakes & Scrambled Tofu

We like to fix breakfast every so often on the weekends. Especially on snowy cold ones!
It was Cody's idea to make these pancakes into CHOCOLATE pancakes. He really loves his cocoa powder.

Pancake & Tofu Scramble recipes by Lindsay Nixon // The Happy Herbivore

THE INGREDIENTS:
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp fine salt
1 cup non-dairy milk
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tbsp raw sugar (optional)
We added 2 tbsp organic cocoa powder
2 sliced bananas

Pancakes & Scrambled Tofu

Whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
Combine non-dairy milk with maple and sugar.
Pour wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until just combined; a few lumps are okay!

RECIPE pancakes and tofu3

Mix in the banana! Let mixture rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat skillet over very low heat.
Transfer mixture to a large glass/liquid measuring cup. Spray skillet with cooking spray and pour in 1/4 cup batter.

Pancakes & Scrambled Tofu

Cook on one side until bubbles form, gently flip, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.

Now for the Tofu Scrambled "Eggs"

THE INGREDIENTS:
1 lb extra firm tofu, drained
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp granulated garlic powder
1 tsp granulated onion powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 cup vegetables, mushrooms, spinach, or vegan meat, chopped (optional)
salt to taste
pepper to taste
We added spinach to our scramble

RECIPE pancakes and tofu6

Place tofu in skillet and break apart with a spatula into large chunks.
Cook over medium-high heat until tofu releases its water, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Add nutritional yeast, dijon, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and turmeric, stirring to coat evenly.
Break up any large remaining chunks of tofu until the tofu is crumbly and looks like scrambled eggs.

RECIPE pancakes and tofu7

Continue to cook, stirring regularly, until all water has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
Add a splash of water or non-dairy milk if necessary to prevent sticking.
If using vegetables or other food, continue to cook until everything is thoroughly warmed.
Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.

RECIPE Pancakes and Tofu8

As you can see I loved my pancakes and tofu scramble!!!
The tofu eggs do have a strong Dijon mustard taste too me, so we plan to use less next time.
Cody loved them the way they were but I would like to taste the other favlors more.

Have you had any vegan breakfast food before???
I highly recommend these recipes if you haven't.
Visit Lindsay's website today!

11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I HAVE to make these this weekend, I love pancakes.
    I forgot to tell you, me and Ash tried your recipe for mexican chick peas (we used wraps instead of tacos though). It was delicious! Thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you liked them and that Ash ate them as well. ;)

      Delete
  2. Ooooh yum! I've never tried vegan scrambled "eggs"... looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you try them let me know what you think!!!

      Delete
  3. Those pancakes look amazing. I'm going to try them tomorrow morning. I love the bananas inside. Soo cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the bananas make them heathly, minus the chocolate! Ha!

      Delete
  4. My mouth is watering!

    <3 Melissa
    wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried the tofu scrambled eggs before, but just with an entirely different recipe (basically with whatever I had on me at the time). So delic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I've been craving them actually. :)

      Delete
    2. Me too, I think I might get some tofu on hand tonight so I can make a lot of scrambled eggs throughout the rest of the month!

      Delete

HELLO! :) Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do reply to comments through email, so make sure you are not a no reply blogger so that I can indeed email you a response back. :) Not sure what a no reply blogger is? Read about it HERE.