1.29.2013

Trip to The Peaceful Prairie Farm Sanctuary

I am so excited to share this trip to the farm sanctuary with you! Last year when we went to Vegfest we picked up some literature for an farm sanctuary that rescued farms animals. The farm is called Peaceful Prairie Sanctuary and it's located in Deer Trail Colorado. It took us almost two and half hours to get there, but the drive was well worth the experience. Get ready to see a ton of cute pictures...

Farm Drive

The drive was gorgeous. It also helped that the temperature was in the 50's and no snow or wind. Perfect. We really lucked out for January. One of the first things I noticed when we arrived was this Llama that was hanging out by the cars. I thought it was funny to see him next to a mini van. The animals that live on this farm really do get to roam free.

Farm1

Above you can see Michelle. She and her husband own and run the farm with the help of volunteers. I loved this photo of her because she is "glowing" with happiness. You can tell she loves giving tours of her farm and teaching people about the animals. One of the main reasons why I picked to tour this farm is because they educate people about the truths of ALL farming. Pretty much what it comes down to is slaughtering is slaughtering, free range or not. Most people think free range makes it okay or better. It's Michelle's mission in life to break the myths and educate every day people. Sometimes we don't want to hear it but it doesn't keep it from being reality. I learned during this tour that "free range" farming isn't any better and in some cases worse then factory farming. (more information on that HERE.)

Farm cowstogetherFARM frank piere title

As soon as the whole tour group reached the top of the hill to start the tour, these two guys knew it was time to greet us. I found it amazing how they knew when they saw people it meant it was time to get petted and be scratched. Frank is the large black cow and the smaller one behind him is Piere. Piere is blind and Frank acts as his "seeing eye cow". Frank guides him around the farm. They have created a strong bond between each other. It was really sweet. Piere was more laid back, but Frank however was much more demanding of your attention. It's very cool to have a huge cow want to be petted like a dog...

Farm2

I probably should mention that I hadn't ever done anything like this. I had never been this close to a farm animal in my life. The cows did make me a bit nervous since I am so short. Frank headed butted me because I stopped petting him. I just stayed clear of his path after that. I let the taller people pet him instead. Cody kept trying to get close up shots of him, but Frank would head butt the camera...

FARM frankcloseup

Once we visited with Frank and Piere it was time to move on to the goats. They were off in the distance waiting for their turn for affection. I love how they just watched us patiently. It's like you can read their minds,"Oh here comes another group of people to pet us!" The goats were my favorite animals on the farm...

Farm goats waiting
Farm Cat1

I was in love with this black and white cat that lived on the farm. One thing that really warmed my heart during our tour was seeing all the different species coexisting together. Humans need to take a lesson from these animals. Michelle pointed out two goats that were sunning themselves together. They were a mother and son. She said that a lot of people don't believe that farm animals can create family bonds, this is proof that they do...

FARM goats together2

I LOVED how we walked with the animals. The animals became part of our group. I think Cody made more friends on the farm then I did. They seemed to keep seeking him out. This little goat was so sweet. Cody would take a step back from her and she would then step close to him putting her head up against his leg. It was so cute...

FARM codypettinggoatFARM Llamas and cat

Off in the distance the Llamas on the farm just watched us.
The Llamas aren't that fond of people, but will leave you alone. I can't get over how tall they are...
FARM tall Llama FARM llamas and fence

After walking by some of the Llamas, we got a look at some more animals that were just wandering around and being curious. I am pretty sure this cute guy was a goose. He was so adorable... FARM gooseFARM cowb&w

Then it was time to meet the chickens...
FARM chickens

This was sad. Michelle wanted to really educate us about how chickens are used in the farming industry. Male baby chicks are useless, so are usually killed. (Usually ground up alive.) Female chicks are only good till the age of 18 months because they are so exhausted from all the egg laying. They are then also killed. Something about the chickens get me teary eyed every time. Once I watched Vegucated and saw the reality of what happens to these animals, it instantly gave me an attachment to them.

Farm chicken missing feathers

This hen had only been at the farm for 2 weeks. She had been rescued from an "egg laying" operation. You can see how she is missing feathers on her wing. So sad. I want to cry just looking at the photo. She will get better and stronger. She will get to live out her life peacefully and never have to be in a cage again.

FARM veggietime1

The last part of the tour was the best part I thought. Every Sunday the grocery store Whole Foods donates produce to the farm. It was produce that they would other wise just throw away. A few volunteers from the farm will go pick up boxes full of goodies for the animals. It is so funny to watch the feast that unfolds. The animals are so smart and have learned the routine and know that Sunday is when people visit the farm and Sunday is when they get produce...

FARM goatorange6piccollage

I hope the photos of the goat eating the orange didn't completely gross you out. Cody and I were laughing so hard watching this goat eat a full orange. He was in heaven. After watching him struggle to eat the orange, I started peeling oranges for some of the goats. Well, it ended up being one goat once he figured out what I was doing. I fed him about 8 oranges...

FARM mefeedinggoats
FARM cody feeding cow oranges

Another really cool animal that we met was named JC...
FARM cody JC

Michelle told us that during every tour of the farm JC picks one male in the group to follow around. He picked Cody. He wanted Cody to join his group and stay on the farm with him. How cool? It was so funny. He would not leave Cody's side. The animals on the farm were all so smart and unique.

I was so happy when I was at the farm with the animals. I felt so at peace. I didn't cry till I started editing these photos and doing this blog post. It hit me like a tons of bricks. These animals look you in the eye and you see love. You see a personality, just like a pet in your home. This was a very moving experience for me and I'm already vegan. If you have any type of animal sanctuary near you I urge you to visit it. It's really fun being with the animals and getting to know their stories. I think I have found my purpose in life. To try to save as many as these guys as possible. :)


The Goose you hear in the video next to Cody is JC talking to him. LOL

You can learn more about the farm by visiting their website, Peaceful Prairie Sanctuary
The animals living on this farm will never be killed or eaten. This is their forever home.

32thingsbefore32 number23
This was a goal of mine from my 32 Things Before 32 List!

28 comments:

  1. This post definitely made me want to visit and the sheer fact that you mentioned Vegucated literally made me put it on Netflix to listen to while I work.

    And if this is your calling, you should make a career out of it. Just sayinggg! ;]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ate right Melanie, I need to be doing something I live for a job. I live in such a meat eating town tough. It's tuff. If you watch Vegucated please let me know! :)

      Delete
    2. I have an idea that might help, but let me get the last bits of information together and I'll e-mail you about it. What's your e-mail address?

      I totally loved it. It made me feel the exact same way when I first heard about all the processes that comes along with torturing and mutilating animals for our consumption. Plus I had a spiritual warmness when I saw three families start to change their habits for the sake of the universe. Scared me though when our world could be totally out of animals for "meat supply" by 2050.

      Delete
    3. Wait, skip the e-mail part. Don't I feel dumb!

      But I will e-mail you the details once I get everything together.

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy you made it to the farm. It sounds like a neat place. That's definitely in a wide-open part of Colorado. Beautiful!

    Yeah, that goat eating the orange is hilarious!!! I've never seen anything like that before. Those pictures make it look like he is enjoying it a little TOO much. Very funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol when you visit we could always take you so you can feed that goat some oranges!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous photos honey! I love the orange! Kori xoxo

    www.blondeepisodes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kori! I appreciate you reading my post and stopping by!! :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had an amazing time!
    I'd love to visit there
    That poor little hen, but she's a lucky one to be rescued. But it is so heartbreaking :(
    I loved the photo of the goat eating the orange! Made me laugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have an amazing time! The hen was heartbreaking, but she is safe now. :)

      Delete
  5. Yay! I'm glad you made it to Peaceful Prairie; it is such an amazing place. The same thing happens to me when we go--it's all smiles and happy while we visit with the animals and then I break down later feeling sad for all the others still out there to save.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for recommending it to me. We will be taking friends and family there when they visit!

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed this post a lot! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it Adrienne :) thanks for reading it!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an incredible place! I adore goats - they are such funny, beautiful, affectionate and strange creatures. I used to have 5 pet goats who I still miss terribly....they caused no end of trouble around our place but I loved them all the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that you had pet goats!!!! They are such cool creatures.

      Delete
  8. I love places like this! There is a farm here in Utah which has cows and coats and chickens ect and two giant duck ponds where the ducks come live in the summer. They just feed and take care of all of them and can't even sell the milk because it's not homogonized. I just love to go and play with the baby goats and lambs in the spring. I like how this farm has all of the animals interact, that's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my post Sam. I would live to visit more places like this. It truly is a peaceful place. :)

      Delete
  9. This looks like so much fun! It looks like it was such a nice day(: Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. It was a lot of fun. Something I will never forget that's for sure. :)

      Delete
  10. These pictures are beautiful. What is a farm sanctuary? Do the animals just live there without anything else or are they dying a natural death and then becoming 'food'? (Ugh, that's disgusting to say but I don't really know.)

    I love the stories you told with the pictures. I think that goat that knew you were peeling his oranges is pretty awesome haha. And oh JC, so sweet! Now I want to visit a farm sanctuary! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A farm sanctuary usually is a place that saves animals from being killed. They get to live there life out there on the farm. A lot of times it's animals that are rescued from bad living conditions or factory farming. It was really fun to visit. :) Thanks for reading my long post.

      Delete
  11. I'm in tears reading this. I'm so happy these animals were fortunate enough to end up in such a good place. That poor hen can finally live the life she deserves!
    The pictures of the goat enjoying that orange is are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really hoping that you would see this post. :) I knew you would enjoy it. I did end up sponsoring a hen at the farm, so a lucky hen will get some extra love. :)

      Delete
  12. What an amazing and emotional trip. What amazing people to help and educate like that.
    PS: That goat eating the orange is hilarious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was emotional. It didn't hit me till we got home though. I am so glad that we went.

      Delete
  13. That goat eating the orange is just too funny! That had to be an awesome experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It was awesome. :) Thanks for viewing my post.

      Delete

HELLO! :) Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do reply to comments through email, so make sure you are not a no reply blogger so that I can indeed email you a response back. :) Not sure what a no reply blogger is? Read about it HERE.