1.10.2013

Our Bedroom: Work in Progress & Painted Pink

It's been weeks since Cody and I have done any real improvements around the house. We had all the holidays and just didn't have time to really start anything. Now that things have calmed back down to a regular routine I was eager to start doing projects again. Our bedroom was the next room on the list. Here are some before images of the space...

Our Bedroom 3beforepics

I hate those closet doors. The closet is so wide though, that our options are limited. I think we are going to keep them for now but I will paint them white to brighten up the room. I wonder how many coats of paint that's going to take? (I really don't want to know.) Here is the closet without the doors on. We actually plan to install all new shelving. I have ideas for getting us super organized and using every square inch.

Our Bedroom closet no doors

We took both weekends days to work on the room. Day 1 we started with emptying the room and ripping up the carpet. I am so happy to have the original hardwood floors in our home. There are only 2 rooms that do not have hardwood floors, besides the bathrooms. One of the downstairs bedrooms and our kitchen.

Our Bedroom pulling up the carpet
Gosh, I'm short.
The floors do need refinished. They have been abused. The whole house has been abused really. They painted over all the airvents and switch covers, leaving it all ruined. The walls are full of holes and gashes. It's sad really. We will do what we can to fix it up nice.

Our Bedroom Chloe jumpingChloe jumping over the carpet. She was so confused.

Our Bedroom wood floors

On Day 1 we also painted the ceiling a fresh coat of white paint. I painted all the baseboard trim and window/door trim bright white. We also said goodbye to our vintage ceiling fan. I love vintage things, but this fan had to go. It will be donated :)

Our Bedroom goodbye ceiling fan

I love our new fan. It's so simple and pretty. We purchased it at The Home Depot.
Our Bedroom new fan and pink walls

Day 2 of course was my favorite part, painting the pink walls. Originally I had planned on doing a ombre paint technique in shades of pink on the walls. I honestly do not have the time to invest into that project right now. Now that I have seen the room in one shade of light pink I am glad I didn't do it. The room is tiny and I like it's simplicity. Especially since it's where you sleep and relax at the end of a stressful day! The best photo I took was this one of Cody. Look at the disgusted look on his face...

Our Bedroom Cody wtf

I thank him over and over for letting me paint the room pink. It meant a lot to me and I LOVE it! He really doesn't care. It's just a room to him, but he does hate pink. It's a big deal that he let me do it since he hates the color so much. I wonder if it's in guy's DNA to hate pink? So strange really.
Later that night Cody said to me, "I like what you are doing here."
This was after I started placing the furniture back in. He understands my decorating vision. :)

Our Bedroom Pink looking in Our Bedroom Pink Lamp Detail

I am very happy with the color. I used Valspar Semi-Gloss paint from Lowe's. The color is Utterly Pink (Valspar) 1003-2C. The paint was supposed to be low VOC and low odor. It has a VERY strong paint odor. I was extremely disappointed with this product. It also did not cover well. It was supposed to be paint and primer in one. I feel like I got ripped off! Today the paint still smells very badly and gives me a headache. It's cold outside so I can't really air the room out either. I ALWAYS buy Behr or Glidden paint from Home Depot. This was the only time I didn't. What a mistake! The Behr low odor paint is wonderful. Oh well, lesson learned.

I hope you enjoyed this sneak peek of the bedroom!
Stay tuned for more progress!
You can view a VIDEO TOUR of my home by visiting this link.

View all my posts about my home HERE.

22 comments:

  1. Jessie it looks great so far. Can't wait to see what else you do to it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I'm a big fan of simple decor so this is just the sort of room I love. I think its so sad when people don't look after their homes, but I'm sure you'll have it looking great before too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vic. A lot of the other rooms in my house aren't as simple, so this room is special to me. :)

      Delete
  3. At least Cody is getting the sense that you two will have a beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks beautiful! I just bought some Valspar paint that was supposed to be a paint in primer in one and it turned out to be complete crap too. I know your house is going to look just amazing by the time you are done with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS. :) I glad it's not just me then with the Valspar paint. I almost felt bad complaining about it on my blog, but I thought I should warn people. Just for the smell alone. It's been like 6 days and I still can smell it.

      Delete
  5. Ohh, what a project! The floors look beautiful in the photos, I'm sorry to hear the house is abused though :/ I love that pink color! I've never used Valspar before but I don't think I will after this review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyla. I would totally sick with other paint brands. It's so expensive and wasteful when it doesn't turn out well. I like Lowe's for other things, but not paint. :(

      Delete
  6. It's a beautiful pink! I read that you wanted your bedroom pink and I had my doubts but it's a really soft and pretty shade. I wouldn't have painted all of the walls in the same colours but that's personal preference ofcourse (well everything is haha). And it's so awesome that Cody let you do that! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so funny. I do like rooms that have more white walls then color, but I was dying to have a pink bedroom. I knew with the wood floors it would be really pretty. I like that it's a soft shade and not intense. (Like my blog colors. Hahaha)

      Delete
  7. oh i love makeovers! especially home decor ones!!!
    your room looks amazing.
    wish my room could be pink, but the hubby would kill me lol

    Redheaded Daybook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) I really had to beg to get my way with the pink bedroom. lol

      Delete
  8. (jumps up and waves hand) I know! I know! what you can do for that closet. I just got the CB2 catalog today and it addresses this very thing. go to the page titled "GET ORGANIZED -- create a walk-in closet" in the catalog located at http://www.cb2.com/Catalog/View-Online.aspx?catalog_name=83879_2441d7c1_ebc4172a&display_name=now%20and%20new
    I would tell you the page number but the numbers are too leetle... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. OMG, CB2 has amazing stuff right now. I was drooling over their website!!!!! I am going to be buying a few things from them for our home and I do like the curtain idea. We may try it. Just keep the doors for the next home owner. THANKS!!

      Delete
  9. Hi Jess - I adore your bedroom! The pink is so gorgeous. Sorry you had trouble with the paint, we certainly can't tell it. I'm a die hard Behr fan. And how lucky you have those gorgeous wood floors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peggy. I knew you would love it. :) I can't wait to start decorating now.

      Delete
  10. Thanks. I would probably love light green as well. I plan to paint my office mint green. I CAN'T WAIT. It sucks living in rentals and having to paint things back. I've been there. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, it looks so much better after your repainting job. I can't believe anyone would cover up hardwood floors with carpet (I LOVE hardwood floors)!! I would replace those closet doors with a nice, fresh light colored wood - but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexie! We actually are going to buy some new doors and I'm just going to paint them white. I can't wait to see how much it brightens the room up.

      Delete
  12. Wow! That is a HUGE bulb! It looks luxurious though, maybe because of the gold at the ends of the fan blades. They look nice, and I'm certain these make a good attraction in your room. Do you own the ceiling on the photo that follows too? It looks chic and modern. It would be great to see it in the den's room.

    Staci Severns @ Brooklyn Fan

    ReplyDelete

HELLO! :) Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do reply to comments through email, so make sure you are not a no reply blogger so that I can indeed email you a response back. :) Not sure what a no reply blogger is? Read about it HERE.