9.28.2010

Arrangement by Jonathan Adler

Jonathan Adler inspires me more and more everyday. I have been looking at his designs daily to really see what draws me to his design style. I find that most everything that I love about interior design he has incorporated into the spaces he decorates. I stumbled across an article that he wrote about arrangement and found it very helpful. I wanted to share it with you!

482BDFD7D71C326F965B46A3AA2C


I think when you have a pile of stuff and you start to place it on a dresser or in your bookcase, it can be very overwhelming. Hopefully these images and Jonathan's advise may be helpful to you and myself! Enjoy :)

{Artful design is all in the balance}


For arranging, this means juxtaposing silhouettes and colors – highlight differences between pieces or draw out their similarities.

Start by establishing framing

Items in a room or on a surface should be composed as you would paint a canvas, with scale, sequencing, and balance conceived from one specific vantage point. Consoles, bookshelves and artworks are generally viewed from a frontal perspective, while furnishings – such as dining room tables and coffee tables – are viewed in the round and should be accessorized accordingly.

1. For fool proof arrangements, start with SYMMETRY.

2D92268AB5E64EACC7B1C57E258A


A pair of blue glass lamps anchors either end of the white dresser to establish the tone. Although the lamps are different sizes, symmetry comes through the repeated color.

I balanced the different lamp height by pairing the taller one with a shorter cluster of objects – and vice versa.

Hang plates in unusual locations to fill up white wall space and round compositions.

2. Symmetry is the easiest and most logical way to accessorize, while ASYMMETRY is more challenging – but also more fun!

8A7D3E7FE0C791227ECBBB4B1DF2B0


Here, I grouped numerous items into series of little moments: one book is propped up vertically, like a painting; a stack of plates anchors a bud vase; another vase gets a lift from a Lucite box; etc.

3. Mix SYMMETRY and ASYMMETRY

8EAA8446AF9A4FCDB12A3C2BBD525E


One half of the tableau is arranged symmetrically, the other half is asymmetrical. Look at the overall composition, but break it down into constituent parts.

SOURCE: MSN
Visit his website: Jonathan Adler

No comments:

Post a Comment

HELLO! :) Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do reply to comments through email, so make sure you are not a no reply blogger so that I can indeed email you a response back. :) Not sure what a no reply blogger is? Read about it HERE.