8.05.2013

Driving to Calfornia

I'm finally getting around to sharing my first post about our vacation. We decided to take three days to drive out to California. We took our time so that we could stop and see some sites along the way. I love going out west because I think the scenery is gorgeous. Day one of the drive was 500 miles and it took about 8 hours to reach our final destination in Monticello Utah. Below are some of my favorite photos I took during the first day of driving. The first one is of the sunrise near Fort Collins Colorado on highway 25, taken around 5:30 in the morning.

Driving Day 1

The entire drive through Colorado you are surrounded by the Rocky Mountains. It's pretty amazing. Once we got off highway 25 and merged onto highway 70 we were pretty much in the mountains at that point. One of my favorite things about road trips is seeing the ever changing scenery from state to state.

Driving Day 1
Driving Day 1
The skies out west are always so blue!
Driving Day 1

We made a quick stop at a very cute town called Frisco. It had small town charm but you could tell it was a tourist hot spot. I had never even heard of the place. There were people riding bikes everywhere and we were surrounded by hiking trails. I think we are adding the city of Frisco to our travel to do list. :) This is another reason I like road trips, you find places to visit for future vacations. I like discovering hidden gems.

Driving Day 1
Driving Day 1
Back into the mountains we went...Driving Day 1
Driving Day1
As you get closer to Utah you see more rocks...
Driving Day 1
Driving Day 1

I was so excited that we were able to stop and take some photos of the Colorado river. I think it's so neat how it is a orange/red color from the clay. I had never seen anything like it before.

Day 1 of Driving
Driving Day1
Chloe and Muffins did a great job during the long ride...
Day 1 of Driving
Driving Day1
We got to drive through some neat tunnels that were carved into the mountains.
Driving Day1
Driving Day1
Beautiful flowers at a Colorado visitor center.Driving Day1
Driving Day1

Shortly after crossing into Utah we stopped at a rest area to stretch our legs. The stop was really nice because you could get out and take some photos. I feel like my favorite scenery from our drive to California was in Utah. In my opinion, driving through Utah is like looking at a painting the entire time. A lot of it is so wide open and you can just see nothing but mountains in the distance...

Driving Day1
Muffins wondering how she ended up in Utah...
Drive Day1
Drive Day1
Drive Day1

During our drive we also stopped at Arches National Park located near Moab Utah. I plan to share photos from that trip next. Below is a Google map of the route we drove in case you are interested. If you ever get a chance to drive it I highly recommend it. It is breathtaking. I use Google maps to plan all my road trips!

Picture 6

Learn more about the city of Frisco HERE / Arches National Park HERE.
Stay tuned for many more posts about my trip. :)

12 comments:

  1. I love the picture of Muffins! (I love all the pictures, really! So interesting to see what other places look like through someone elses lense). I would love to go on a road trip. But I'm still traumatized from driving from NJ to TX and then back (lol and that was almost 2 years ago).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I'm sure that drive wasn't as exciting as the drives I've done. You need something scenic and don't do it by yourself. I'm sure you two could find a fun place to drive to out west. I know it's a bit further for you guys though. I do hope to get up to Maine someday! See the other side of the country.

      Delete
  2. You went through Grand Junction and didn't even tell me?! I wanted to say hayyyyyy. Tell me you'll come back through Grand Junction soon, okay?

    Oh and the bridge you drove through, was the same one I drove through when coming through to live in Grand Junction. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally forgot that is where you live. I was always thinking you lived more towards Colorado Springs. Grand Junction is so pretty!

      Delete
    2. Its all good! Just make sure to let me know next time you come through and we can say hey. ;]

      Delete
  3. Yes, the sunrises and sunsets were amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOOO much more interesting then Australian landscape. SO pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still really want to visit Australia someday! ;) There has to be some beautiful parts. Especially the coast and beaches I would think.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures Jessie! And I agree with Nerd Burger, I LOVE road tripping in the USA, it is like a painting and I love the physical changes that are so distinct between each state! *jealous*
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The changing scenery is what makes a road trip so beautiful. I do really enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love all of these pictures. An 8 hour drive sounds pretty dull, but with that scenery I can imagine it can be a little more exciting. I'm hoping to do a roadtrip next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you have to have scenery! If you don't it is boring. Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete

HELLO! :) Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do reply to comments through email, so make sure you are not a no reply blogger so that I can indeed email you a response back. :) Not sure what a no reply blogger is? Read about it HERE.