6.06.2012

Design Boards - Suzanne's Living & Dining Area

Suzanne emailed me for help designing her living room and dining room area. Her home has an open floor plan and the rooms are side by side. She loves neutrals, goldish yellow tones and shades of turquoise. I picked a lot of things that reminded me of nature, then added some modern touches. I didn't want the room to be overly modern, so I picked an eclectic mixture of accessories.
Design Board #1
DB Suzanne Living Room1
LINKS
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Suzanne LR Birdcages
Pottery Barn Image | Ballard Design Birdcage

What I love about this look, is the possibilities are endless. There are so many discount home decor stores where you can find inexpensive decorative items! It's great to check all your local antique shops and thrift stores for old books, birdcages and lanterns that could be spray painted any color to match your color scheme. You save lots of money and it's fun to go hunt for treasures! My second design board for Suzanne's living room is a bit more modern...
Design Board #2
DB Suzanne Living Room LINKS
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Suzanne herringbone wall Herringbone Wall Tutorial | Apothecary Jars

The first design board had a sectional couch and for the second board I picked a sofa and a chair option. Both sofas are able to be customized to any color that she would like. Suzanne is also considering painting a statement wall and I fell in love with the Herringbone painted wall above! I think it's so beautiful. Also, you know I love painted furniture! Suzanne is thinking about painting her TV stand and I think a sunny shade of yellow would be perfect to add a pop of color to her living room.

Dining Room Design Board
DB Suzannes Dining Room LINKS
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

I didn't have as many items to place on this board since I picked out so much for the other boards. Most of the decorative items I chose can be placed in either space. I thought birdcages hanging from the ceiling in a corner would be really cute. I love bright colored painted furniture. Suzanne already has a pine dining room set and china hutch, so it's up to her whether or not she wants to paint those pieces. If she doesn't paint, she could still add fabric or paper to the back of her cabinet to add a pop of color. Then just add color by painting the room or bright colored artwork. I also love plate walls! What a great way to add color and interest to a wall. You could go to yard sales and thrift shops to find a fun mixture to display. Probably my favorite piece on the board is the twig candle holder from Crate & Barrel. Wouldn't that be a great centerpiece on her dining room table? Goes well with the bird/nature theme of the design.
I really hope that Suzanne loves these designs and has a blast decorating!

5 comments:

  1. Hope she does love it, because your designs are awesome! Love the both versions, but I prefer the second board...
    and the colour palette? perfect

    good job Jess :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love*love*love these designs, I am totally swooning -- and ready to go shopping now!!! Thanks so much Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you love the boards Suzanne!! It's so fun to decorate! :)

    Thanks Millie! I do like the 2nd board more also. I also love the color scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love this! I think the birds and birdcages are so pretty. I always love it when golds and mustards are paired with teals. I think it's such a nice combo that works well for feminine and masculine designs. That twig mirror is such a perfect find!! I love the white bird figurines and the floral chair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope she sends you pics of her home after she incorporates your ideas! I love the idea of hanging the vintage bird cages. I'd love to do that on my balcony.

    ReplyDelete

HELLO! :) Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do reply to comments through email, so make sure you are not a no reply blogger so that I can indeed email you a response back. :) Not sure what a no reply blogger is? Read about it HERE.