9.24.2012

Guest Post: Five Fun Disney World Facts

Hi My Mod Style readers! My name is Kim and I blog over at Her Sunday. I was so excited when Jessie asked me to guest post for her and even more excited when she asked me to write about Disney World. It just so happens to be one of my favorites places and we recently just came back from a trip to Disneyland! I thought I might share a few interesting facts about Disney World that you may not know.

Guest Post 5fundisneyfacts text
1

1. Did you know that Disney grows all the fruits and vegetables served in their restaurants on site at their Epcot greenhouses? When you are at Epcot you can take a tour through the Sustainable Agriculture and Research Center and see Disney's work with Hydroponics and Aeroponics. The fun part of this is that several of the fruits and veggies are grown in the shape of Mickey Mouse! You can read more about this here. Disney donates more than 700,000 lbs of prepared but unused food to Central Florida's homeless each year as well.

Our yummy food at Disney...
2
My lunch of freshly grown Disney fruit...
3

2. Did you know that keeping Disney World and Disneyland clean was one of Walt Disney's top priorities? For this reason, you will not find gum sold anywhere in the parks. Every night, after the park has closed, chipped and faded paint is repainted, certified divers comb the water for trash, and landscapers wear head lamps to weed the flower beds. Cleaning crews only just finish their job right before the park opens the next morning. Throughout the night these workers also collect items for the lost and found. An estimated 1.65 million pairs of sun glasses have been turned in to the lost and found!

Cleaning crews luckily found our lost rental car keys...
4
Standing by perfectly clean, crystal blue water in the park...
5

3. Did you know that there are 'hidden Mickey's' all over the park? They are etched into wood, painted into murals, and carved into cement. Sometimes they are a full body Mickey and sometimes only his profile. Look closely- they are purposely hidden on every attraction. Some people make finding hidden Mickey's a full time job!!

6

4. Disney World employs over 62,000 people who are known as 'cast members.' They get around from park to park via underground tunnels. Cast members arrive for work in street clothes and change into their uniforms at work. They change out of them at the end of the night and leave them there to be laundered. Around 30,000 garments are dry cleaned daily! As a side note, Mickey has over 290 outfits in his wardrobe.

7

5. Disney's Animal Kingdom is home to over 1,000 animals. It is also the site of scientific research that contributes to animal conservation efforts. Since the park opened, over 150 species have reproduced there. Disney's veterinarians perform more than 600 wellness checks annually. They have even done surgery on a tarantula and once fitted a fish with an artificial eye!

8
So there you have it. Some fun and maybe little known facts about the magical world of Disney!

{This is a scheduled guest post by Kim of Her Sunday!}
Thanks Kim for guest posting for me while I am on vacation!
Make sure you guys go visit Kim's blog and say HELLO!

5 comments:

  1. Oh this is such a cool post! I didn't know any of those things, I'm definitely loving Disney even more now :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jessie! This was a fun post to write. Hope you're having a blast on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, the only thing I knew here was about the hidden Mickeys! I didn't know about all the efforts that Disney World makes to keep it clean and fresh! How awesome :] That makes me want to go there a million times more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun post! I am kind of a nerd for everything Disney :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are awesome facts! I love that they grow their own fruit and veg!!xxx

    ReplyDelete

HELLO! :) Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do reply to comments through email, so make sure you are not a no reply blogger so that I can indeed email you a response back. :) Not sure what a no reply blogger is? Read about it HERE.