Recipe by Rory Freedman & Kim Barnquin \\ Skinny Bitch in The Kitch
1 1/2 cups of brown rice
3 1/2 cups water, plus more for steaming the vegetables
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos, plus more for the table
(or 4 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce)
2 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/4 head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets (about 2 cups)
1/4 head red cabbage (about 6 ounces), cut into 1/4 inch strips
1/4 bunch kale (about 4 ounces or four to six leaves), cut into 1/2 inch strips
1 broccoli crown, cut into bit size florets (about 2 1/2 cups)
7 to 8 ounces firm or extra firm tofu cut into 1/4 inch slices, then cut on a diagonal into triangles
(I just cut small cubes)
1/4 cup raw pine nuts
- In a 2-quart saucepan over high heat, combine the rice, 3 cups of the water, and the salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the water is absorbed and the rice in tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let the rice stand, covered at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, 1/4 cup of the Bragg Liquid Aminos (or 8 teaspoons of tamari or soy sauce), and the remaining 1/2 cup of water; set aside. If the dressing is too thick, slowly stir in more water as needed.
- In a pot fitted with a steamer insert, bring 1 inch of water and the remaining 2 tablespoons of Bragg Liquid Aminos (or tamari/soy sauce) to a boil. Arrange the carrots and cauliflower in the insert and steam for 3 minutes. Add the cabbage, kale, broccoli and tofu and steam for 3 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and the tofu is heated through.
- To serve, place the rice on plates or a platter and tops with vegetable mixture, tahini sauce, and pine nuts. Pass remaining sauce and additional Bragg Liquid Aminos at the table.
*Be careful not to pour to much sauce onto the dish. It has a very strong taste, you do not need a lot.
Please visit my WHOLE FOOD PAGE to view all my recipes and read about how easy it is to eat Vegan!