6.04.2013

First Clip in Pedal Bike Ride

First Clip in Ride

The next big step for me to take in cycling was to put clip in pedals on my bike. What are clip in pedals you may ask? I'm sure you know what a traditional bike pedal looks like. A clip in pedal is designed to "clip in" to a cleat on the bottom of cycling shoes. Below you can see my cute little shoes and a also a photo of the circle shaped clip in pedal.

PRE-First Clip in RidePRE-First Clip in Ride
PRE-First Clip in Ride

I started out just riding my bike on my trainer in my basement to practice the motion of clipping in and out of the pedal with my shoes. It does take sometime to get used to the feeling. The benefits of having the clip in pedals is that they give you more strength while riding your bike. Since your shoe is now attached to the pedal you get more power while you are pedaling. Not only do you push on the pedal, you are also it pulling up. However, Cody didn't inform me how much it was going to hurt my legs the first ride. I felt pain in muscles I didn't know I had! It really becomes a full leg workout.

First Clip in Ride

I did fall/crash twice. With clip in pedals you basically become part of the bike, so it's easy to make mistakes as a beginner. You are attached and need to know what you are doing to get off. The first time I fell was because I didn't push myself up high enough to get on my seat when starting. The padding on my shorts caught the seat just enough to turn it into a failed attempt. I tried to get off and save myself, but with my right foot still clipped in, down I went. My second fall didn't hurt so bad. I was coming to a stop and I had clipped out of my left pedal. This is the foot I always put on the ground when I get off the bike. Somehow I accidentally clipped it back in. Since I didn't know I was clipped in, I just went to get off the bike "thinking" my foot was free. I think my exact words were, "Shit, I'm still clipped in." Crash. hahaha

Caution: Hot Dogs Ahead
First Clip in Ride
First Clip in Ride
First Clip in Ride

We have been riding on actual roads more. I feel fairly comfortable doing it because the people in the area are used to seeing cyclists. I do tend to stay as far over as possible or use the shoulder if there is one. I don't believe in hogging the road because I'm on a bike. I do hope that people don't get too close either. When I lived in Ohio you rarely saw cyclists. When I did see them I'd get so mad and cuss about it. I thought that roads were only for cars. Boy, how my views have changed. It's also very hard for a cyclist to stop and go. It's so nice when people wave you on or have patience. Especially for a beginner like me. :)

First Clip in Ride

I love snapping photos while we are riding. The above photo is a common site here in town. Lots of people have there own junkyard or car lot going on. Cars and campers lined up rusting away. I joke with Cody that I think there are more campers in our city then people. It's a very interesting place to live and I'm sure someday when we move away we will miss it. You really get to see things differently when you are out on a bike. This ride was one of the most physically hard rides I've done, since I was working all kinds of new muscles in my legs. I can't wait to just keep getting stronger!

4 comments:

  1. Those are some nice cars in that front yard.

    My husband Marco recently started taking cycling a bit more serious and is thinking of getting these pedals. It's good to read that really add something to your performance and your workout. When I told him you fell twice he said it was a real art to ride with those, so well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thank you so much! I fell again yesterday because of a truck. I couldn't get off my bike quick enough. He was speeding so we decided not to cross the street at the last minute. I do recommend the pedals for Marco. It is a lot of work to with the clip in pedals, but only because you have to build up the strength in your legs. Totally worth it! :)

      Delete
  2. Your cycling trips always look so beautiful. I hadn't ridden a bike in 8 years until last week, now I'm trying to persuade Ash to get one too so we can go biking and enjoy our local countryside

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that would be so nice! Life feels so different when you are on a bike. You can get some beautiful photos also.

      Delete

HELLO! :) Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do reply to comments through email, so make sure you are not a no reply blogger so that I can indeed email you a response back. :) Not sure what a no reply blogger is? Read about it HERE.