12.26.2012

Our Christmas 2012

When you are in the Military and you move away from your family, Christmas is a totally different experience. Every year we would be running around to different family gatherings non stop. Now we just sit at home and do nothing. It's sad, but we just make the best of it and enjoy relaxing. This is our second Christmas in Wyoming. Cody was on call and I'm not aloud to ask for time of work during December. (This is why we don't visit Ohio.) Also the highways to drive home can get really bad and they close them often. It's not the best time of year for any sort of traveling.
Barrett taking a look at the snow we got Christmas morning!
IMG_4228

We spent Christmas Eve with our friend Kara. We drank tea and coffee and ate good food. We also made homemade laundry detergent. Something we had really wanted to attempt. (Blog post to come shortly.)

Laundry Soap1

We ended up getting snow Christmas Eve night which was really pretty. We also got home from Kara's house to see that Santa had come. (The U.P.S. Driver) It kinda made me feel like a kid a again having packages waiting for you. Except these were outside covered in snow, not under the tree...

Snow packages

Our family tradition back in Ohio was to always open presents on Christmas Eve night, so that's what we did. This year my parents and I kept it simple and just bought each other ornaments. They got me the cutest Hello Kitty one. She is all decked out in PINK...

Hello Kitty Ornament Norman Bubble Wrap
Norman enjoyed the bubble wrap that the gifts came in!

When I opened my present from my in-laws it took everything I had to NOT cry. They purchased me a Sea Shepherd cycling jersey. Which not only is something I really wanted but the purchase of it also goes towards a donation. I wanted this freakin jersey so badly! It's coming all the way from Australia and has not arrived yet, so they printed out the order form and taped a photo of it on the paper...

Me jersey

The jersey is actually made from recycled plastic bottles!! The jersey couldn't be MORE PERFECT for me. :) Also the same day one of my best friends in Ohio sent me a text message with this photo...

Christmas Gift - SeaShepherd Donation
He made a donation to Sea Shepherd! That was my gift! How awesome.
My other best friend in Ohio sent me a panda stuffed animal from the San Diego zoo.
It is super cute! I really hope to make it to that zoo someday.

Christmas morning was so cold. The fresh snow that covered the streets was so beautiful. I love snow when I don't have to go outside or drive in it. It's so peaceful and pretty.

Snow Front Yard IMG_4251 Christmas Morning 2012

It's not Christmas if we don't watch The Christmas Story!
Tradition A Christmas Story
IMG_4252 Vegan cookiesWe drank lots of coffee and baked vegan cookies!

Then I decided that I wanted to go to the park to take a few photos. I know a lot of people don't get white Christmas's, so I figured we should take advantage of it. The only problem was it was SUPER cold. I had no gloves on. After taking about 5 minutes worth of photos my hands were numb and we headed back to our warm car. I do however have some pretty pictures to share with you...

Park1Park2
There is a lake under all that snow!
Park3Park4

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday.

27 comments:

  1. Such pretty post, and the snow!♡
    You really had a white Christmas:)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Snow is cold and horrible to drive in, but it's so beautiful and peaceful. :)

      Delete
  2. Christmas hugs from Ohio, Jessie! We ran around the 'Nati like crazy visiting family. Your Christmas sounds soooo peaceful and wonderful, and full of good company and good food. Such cool, meaningful gifts too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It must be harder when you have kids! I can't imagine how stressful that would be. Your boys probably just want to stay home and play all day with their new toys. :)

      Delete
  3. I love that first photo and how you were able to capture that ornament with your kitty looking out at the beautiful snow!

    I loooove making laundry detergent and have a borax free recipe on my blog: http://projectlovegood.com/2012/10/homemade-laundry-detergent/ I can't remember the last time I bought detergent. Last time I made five batches of it so I should be good to go for a looong time. :) I also did a cost calculation to prove how super cheap it is. Many recipes call for Arm & Hammer washing soda but since Arm & Hammer tests on animals we just bought what washing soda is, which is soda ash. :) It took me a while to find a recipe free of those two ingredients so I came up with my own and it works! I love making it and shredding up that soap!

    And what a sweet gift that Sea Shepherd one was! I'm glad you enjoyed the long weekend! :) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information about Arm & Hammer. I guess it's kinda good in an ironic way that I posted that,....because now I can also info people about the animal testing on a product that's on ALL OUR homes!!! I also did go research it myself and honestly couldn't even read all of it. It was so sad. Also, I didn't even know other companies sold baking soda!!!! You live and learn. :) Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Also, though I don't go to zoos anymore, the San Diego Zoo is quite lovely. I remember not being able to leave the polar bears because I couldn't stop crying thinking about the possibility that they would become extinct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't give up zoos I don't think. BUT I do find myself wanting to ask questions about the animals more. Like why are they here? How long have they been here? etc... It's something I need to research more.

      Delete
  5. I can totally understand the feeling of moving away and the difference in the Christmas. We lucked out on the condition of the roads this year but usually they are horrible! I am hoping to have our families come visit *us* next year. What a cool gift!
    {Em ♥ teatreevintage.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's nice to have Christmas at different places yearly. That kinda makes it more fun I think. Plus it would be great for you to host it in your new home. :)

      Delete
  6. Such a pretty landscape! I love all of the snow. We haven't gotten any this year, no white Christmas for me! Also, it's still strange to grasp the idea of such an incredible large country with friends and family so far away. You can drive from the most eastern point to the most western of mine in about 3 hours! But well, getting packages is fun though! :) That HK ornament is so pretty! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is crazy that I have to drive at least 18 hours to get to my family. It costs $800 in gas to drive there and back. Ouch. :( I think of you now every time I see Hello Kitty because of your tree. lol

      Delete
  7. the snow is so pretty. I live in Australia where we are currently in the middle of a horrible heat wave so I am very envious!

    http://enidtwiglet.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I got my butt out there in it. I didn't want to take it for granted. :)

      Delete
  8. Jess & Cody, thanks for the pictures on your blog, our presents will be there today. A bit late getting them to the u p s office. Sorry.
    You two look so cute in the picture of you together. Missed you at Christma. Love Grandma & Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grandma. I thought you'd enjoy seeing what we did.

      Delete
  9. Cute hello kitty ornament! I have hello kitty ornaments all over my tree :)

    www.teenyhippie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love a Hello Kitty themed tree. Oh and if it was pink it would be even better!!! :)

      Delete
  10. Looks like you had a fantastic Christmas. That sea shepperd jersey looks great. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! I can't wait to get my jersey. I just hope it fits. :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you have a great New Year as well. :)

      Delete
  12. I love seeing all that snow! It rained here all Christmas, the last two years we've been spoiled with snow on Christmas!
    Looks like you had a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived in Ohio, it would be 60 degrees out and rainy a lot of years. It never rains in Wyoming. Thanks for stopping by as always. :)

      Delete

HELLO! :) Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do reply to comments through email, so make sure you are not a no reply blogger so that I can indeed email you a response back. :) Not sure what a no reply blogger is? Read about it HERE.