3.27.2012

Whole Food Recipe {Vegan Chili}

I wanted to share with you a chili recipe. I actually fixed this chili for my parents a few days ago when I arrived in Ohio. It's pretty much like any chili, just no meat. I do only use organic canned beans and the chili has vegetable broth in it.
Vegan Chili

Vegan Chili

1 sweet onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
4 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
4 teaspoons chili powder
2 15oz cans of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Sliced fresh jalapeno pepper(s)

Heat a large sauce pot over medium high heat until hot. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes or until beginning to brown and stick to the pan. Stir in 1/2 cup broth and cook 3 to 4 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender and most liquid has evaporated. Stir in chili powder and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth, beans and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, partially covered, about 30 minutes or until vegetables and beans are tender and sauce is thickened. Stir in black pepper. Serve with cilantro and jalapenos, if using.

*I highly recommend stirring in the cilantro while the chili is still simmering. It gives the chili a very good taste. I also added 4 cans of kidney beans because I like thicker chili. It's better to buy all Organic canned beans and tomatoes. If they aren't Organic, a lot of times they will have added sugar and other things you don't NEED. Then the chili ends up not being healthy.

2 comments:

  1. This is very similar to a vegetarian chili that I make- it's one of our favorite things!

    ReplyDelete

HELLO! :) Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do reply to comments through email, so make sure you are not a no reply blogger so that I can indeed email you a response back. :) Not sure what a no reply blogger is? Read about it HERE.