1.09.2013

DIY: Framed Map Heart Cutouts

Most of us have Pinterest addictions. Once I knew we were buying a house I started pinning decorating ideas like crazy. Many of them being DIY projects. One that I really found cute was an idea to cutout hearts out of old maps and then frame them. Most the time the hearts were the place you met your spouse, got married and where you bought your first home. I decided I really liked the idea and wanted to try it out myself.

DIY MapHeartCutouts1

My hearts represent everywhere we have lived or traveled. I was actually really excited to do this because I plan to just keep adding hearts to it as we travel more. I designed my hearts using Photoshop. I used Google maps to get photos of the maps I needed. Then I would edit them into heart shapes and even play with the colors a bit.

DIY MapHeartCutouts2

Once I printed them all out I started cutting...
DIY Mapheartcutout3

I ended up with a lot of hearts! It took some time to figure out what pattern I wanted to lay them out in.
I just eyeballed the entire thing. I taped them down once they looked even.
DIY MapHeartCutouts4

The Santa Barbara heart is my favorite...
DIY Mapheartcutout5

I should mention that my living room is where my globes are and where I have some other maps framed. I am also doing a painting soon to hang over my couch that kinda also fits into the same theme. I love traveling and thought this project was perfect for my home. :)

DIY Mapheartcutout7DIY Mapheartcutout6

There you can see it with nothing around it on the mantel. I have since added plants and vases around it. I can't seem to get it right so I keep moving things. (Photos to come later.) I am happy with the end result. It's just a simple modern looking piece of art. I had considered putting the hearts on a bright colored fabric or place bright colored hearts behind the maps to make them stand out more. I like the simplicity of it for now.

You can see my original PIN that inspired me to do this project HERE.
View all my posts of my home HERE.

24 comments:

  1. I think it turned out great! I love how big of a frame you used! That way someone really knows what they're looking at! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Plus I can add more. :) Because I got a lot of places I want to go!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh, pretty and I like the idea. I like maps too so I really like this idea. I think id put the hearts on top of a light blue paper, it could represent water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may put it on a background. I am not sure yet. I keep moving everything around on my mantel. I just can't get it right. We'll see. Thanks. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh Jessie, this is a genius idea! Your living room is looking beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen pins with the same idea too and I loved it as well! I still want a map with green and red pins haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love maps. This was so easy to make and fun. Plus you can do it so many different ways to make it unique to you. :)

      Delete
  5. I really like it. It looks great in that spot too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. If only I could figure out if I want things around it or not. LOL This is my first mantel, so it's hard for me to stage it.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I love maps and globes. They are so fun. I can't wait to collect some real maps when we take our next roadtrip!

      Delete
  7. Oh Jessie this seems to have worked out wonderfully. I just did a post on how much I like maps and these are the cutest! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check out your post. Thanks. :)

      Delete
  8. This is such a great idea!!! And adorable too!! I'm going to have to get me these materials soon, thanks for sharing!!
    ~Ama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I loved sharing it. It's fun to make.

      Delete
  9. What a cute idea!! I love the way the maps seem like pastel abstract images.

    Mackenzie
    www.heybirdfriend.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun isn't it? I loved changing the colors a bit on Photoshop.

      Delete
  10. That is such a cute idea! I love it! Happy 2013 btw! I am just catching up to blogging and reading! :)

    ReplyDelete

HELLO! :) Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do reply to comments through email, so make sure you are not a no reply blogger so that I can indeed email you a response back. :) Not sure what a no reply blogger is? Read about it HERE.