11.16.2012

Recipe: Homemade Chips and Cheddar Cheesy Sauce

I wanted to share a recipe today that Cody and I recently tried. We don't buy store bought chips anymore because they are loaded with fat, oil and all kinds of other processed stuff. Of course the "Cheddar Cheesy Sauce", has no cheese or dairy in it. It's all strictly Vegan and YUMMY.

This recipe is from The Happy Herbivore by Lindsay Nixon
Chips and Cheese1

Ingredients for the Cheddar Cheesy Sauce:
1 1/4 cup of non-dairy milk
1/3 cup of nutritional yeast
2 tbsp yellow miso
2 tbsp cornstarch, we used arrow root powder
1 tsp granulated onion powder
1 tsp granulated garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tumeric

Chips and Cheese2

Whisk all the ingredients together in a saucepan.
Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to low, stirring frequently until it thickens slightly.
Very simple.

Chips and Cheese3

Now lets make the chips! For ours below we did them a bit differently then Lindsay's recipe.
Here is what we use:
1 10oz package of 8-inch corn tortillas
Salt & Pepper
Cooking Spray
Non-stick foil

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cut the tortillas into little triangles.Chips and Cheese4

Once you have all your chips cut, you will lay them down on the cookie sheets!
Chips and Cheese5psd

Lightly spray your chips with your spray oil. We only do one side of our chips.
Now season your chips. We only used salt and pepper for this batch.
Chips and Cheese6psd

After they bake for about 5 minutes, you have to pull them out and flip them over.
Then put them back in for at least another 5 minutes or a little longer.
It's kinda a trial and error thing depending on how crispy you want them.
Chips and Cheese 7

There you go! Vegan style cheese sauce and homemade chips!
Here is a short video of me trying the cheese sauce for the first time!


I highly recommend all of Lindsay Nixon's books!
She is really proving to the world that eating a plant based diet is easy and delicious.
Visit her website HERE.

I am working towards making my recipe posts better. I used to only post one crappy picture of the finished meal and the recipe typed out. I didn't feel like it was enough. This is my third recipe post with pictures of the whole process, what do you think? Do you have suggestions on how to make them better or something more you'd like to see? Please let me know. :)

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I've never seen coconut oil spray before. I'll have to try and find some because that's the best idea ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering!! I have yet to find a vegan cheese I like (I can't stand Daiya). I'll have to try this out once I have a kitchen.


    <3 Melissa
    wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

HELLO! :) Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do reply to comments through email, so make sure you are not a no reply blogger so that I can indeed email you a response back. :) Not sure what a no reply blogger is? Read about it HERE.