10.15.2011

My Union Jack Painting

A few weeks ago I did an INSPIRATION post with images of the Union Jack pattern. I had planned to decorate my bedroom in pink and orange. I decided I wanted to just paint my own Union Jack painting to hang over my bed. I started by making this design in Photo Shop...
Union Jack love
I wanted there to be a heart in the center with the word love on it. I have always also loved pink and red rooms, so I thought why not add red to my bedroom also?
Painting UNION JACK1
I am fortunate to own a projector that I purchased many years ago. It has helped me with many projects. I purchased my canvas, paint and small paint roller from Hobby Lobby. It only cost me $22 because everything was on sale! I already had blue painters tape, which is perfect for making the flag sections of the Union Jack pattern. To start the project I made the room really dark and then traced the design onto the canvas...
Painting UNION JACK2
After I traced everything I laid the canvas on my dining room table and started rolling all the layers of paint on...
Painting Union Jack3
The red took about 6 coats of paint! I decided to just free hand the word love on the heart so it would be my handwriting. I am pretty happy with the end result.
Painting Union Jack 4
For only $22 it was a great way to create a focal point for over the bed. It added the extra color I needed on the plain white walls and pulls the color scheme together. The small pillow in the front I have had for about 6 years. It was from Target and I have always loved it. It didn't work in my last house, so I am glad I finally had a room it matched!

(I can't find nightstands for my bedroom! Once I do I can finish the decorating and post pictures! Stay tuned...)

4 comments:

  1. I see you have taken advantage of the Hobby Lobby sale. Last week I got a bunch of stuff for 40% off CHEERS!

    I really love the painting! Also, and this is weird- but I love your bed. You could have put 8828 orange and pink pillows on there- but it just looks so clean and crisp and RICH the way it is. I would have messed it all up with my over the top ways. Im impressed. LOL. You don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "simple" decor. I don't do well with clutter. I love beds with lots of pillows, but never decorate my own bed that way. I tend to decorate with "less is more" in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your painting looks great. Pink and orange (with lots of white) is one of my favorite color schemes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! It's true haven't seen you put much painting up here in a while, but really sweet!

    painters edmonton
    painting contractor edmonton

    ReplyDelete

HELLO! :) Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do reply to comments through email, so make sure you are not a no reply blogger so that I can indeed email you a response back. :) Not sure what a no reply blogger is? Read about it HERE.